Monday, August 14, 2006

Tension Rising

Valentine’s Day is considered to be a lovers’ holiday. Lovers of all kinds do many romantic things, ranging from dinners, to going to a movie, to having intimate moments. Almost everybody looks forward to Valentines Day because they get to share a special day with that special someone in their lives. Even though I had a girlfriend at the time, I had a bad feeling about this special day.
When I returned home from college for Christmas break, I thought about the situation between Melissa and me. I knew that I had to break things off with her, but I didn’t know what to say, or when to do it. I talked to several people back home about the matter and they told me the best thing to do was just to break it off and break it off fast.
To add fuel to the fire, during Christmas break, Melissa kept calling me non-stop, asking how I was doing, saying she missed me, and what sensual things she would do to me when I returned to college. At that time, I was totally confused as to what to do. She seemed like she really cared for me, and I was beginning to have second thoughts if what I was doing was the right thing to do. I returned to college after break not feeling any better than when I had left. As soon as I returned (at least it felt that way), Melissa and I were back together doing the same things we were doing before break, but things got a little interesting, and it set the stage for things to come.
First off, Melissa wanted me to finally meet her parents. Since Melissa wanted me to attend dinner at her house to celebrate her mother’s birthday, I thought it was right to go. Melissa’s parents were upper middle class people who had great jobs, lived in a great neighborhood, and seemed to be good people. When we arrived at Melissa’s house, we were greeted by Melissa’s parents, brother, and brother’s girlfriend. We talked, shared a few laughs throughout the night, and really had a good time. After dinner, all of us went to the living room to talk some more. A few hours later, I decided to leave, because it was getting late. Melissa begged her father if she could go back to the college with me to hang out some more. The father, of course, allowed her to do it, much to my dismay.
As expected, once Melissa and I came back to the college, we shared more intimate activities for a while before I took her back home.
The next incident, the straw that broke the camel’s back, occurred when Melissa dragged me into going to her “sister’s” (a.k.a. her best friend’s) birthday party. The sister, which was about the same age as Melissa, had her party at a nearby bowling alley. Attending her party were a few more friends, totaling about 5 to 7 more people not including Melissa and me. In the beginning, we had fun, but as the party was progressing, things turned rather strange.
Melissa told me before arriving at this party that her “sister” looked almost identical to her. During the party, Melissa asked me if her and her “sister” looked alike. I looked at both of them standing in front of me, and all of a sudden Melissa flips out accusing me of checking her “sister” out. I told Melissa I was doing what she wanted me to, comparing both females. She didn’t believe me and didn’t speak to me for a while.
After the friends got tired of playing bowling, they decided to do something else. Somebody in the group proposed that we all go to the mall. Everybody decided that was a good idea, but the only problem was, who would drive. Melissa said that I would drive everybody to the mall, which everybody thought was a good idea. Before we went to the mall, however, everybody was hungry, so I had to drive half the group to a fast food restaurant, while the other half rode in another vehicle. While at the fast food restaurant, Melissa asked her friends how they liked her “boy toy” meaning me.
At the end of the day, I was disgusted with the day’s events. I dropped Melissa off at her house and went home. I made my decision that breaking things off was the best option. But, how would I do it?
I talked to some people about how I should break up with her in the least painful way. They recommended that I sit her down with her and just tell her. That’s exactly what I did. On a cold February day before Valentine’s Day, I was sitting upstairs in the cafeteria with John when Melissa came upstairs and sat down with us. I told her we needed to talk. John understood what was going on, so he quickly left. The look on Melissa’s face was that of utter shock because I believe she knew what I was about to say to her.
I told Melissa that we shouldn’t see each other, at least for a while. I explained to her that I needed my space because hanging out with her 24/7 was taking its toll on my schoolwork. She asked me if there was any chance we could get back together again in the future, which I responded by saying I didn’t know. I didn’t want to tell her the real reason for breaking it off with her (the fact that she was obsessive and highly possessive), because I didn’t want to hurt her further; the fact of me breaking it off with her was painful enough.
She took it quite well at the time. She didn’t cry or do anything; I mean we talked at the table for a while, but after the conversation was finished, she just got up and left. I knew she was hurt, but it wasn’t the hurt you would have expected. I asked myself repeatedly “did I do the right thing?” Given all the facts, I told myself that I needed to do it before things got worse. When John came back to the table, he asked me how I was doing. I don’t remember what I said to him, but I felt heartbroken at that time.
When I was walking back to the dorms, I kept telling myself that went better than expected. I’ve seen people break-up numerous times, and I myself have been through some break-ups. The woman most of the time cries and tries to get back together with the guy, but after a short while, they let things go. It is hard for both people to end a relationship, but for some reason, something in the back of my mind told me that breaking up with Melissa wasn’t going to be easy. It is hard to explain in one sentence, but my story will better explain it.
At dinnertime, Sam and I were waiting in line to get dinner. He looked at me, held out his hand, told me he had nothing to do with this, and dropped a folded up piece of paper in my hand. I unfolded the paper and it said:
"You are the only person that I want. I truly believe that we should be together. It tears me up inside knowing that I can’t be with you. I know that it is hard, but I want you to know that I will always love you. It’s going to be torture for me not being with you. I know that this is doing the same to you. I want to work this out with you. I don’t want to break up with you. I know that we are both very busy, and I know that we work in the weekends. I don’t care if you can’t call all the time. I don’t care if I don’t see you everyday. All that I want from you is your love. Knowing that you love one is all that I want. I don’t care about anything else. I’m willing to work this out with you if you want to try. If you don’t, I’ll understand. My heart is yours and yours alone. Yes, I am hurt that you broke up with me, but I know that you had good intentions. However, I’d rather have you as a boyfriend I don’t get to see often, then no have you at all. Without you, there’s no spark in my life. Without you, my day will never brighten. I go deeper and deeper into the dark abyss without you. I don’t know what you want of me? But whatever you want, I’ll give it to you. All that I want is to have you back. I know that I am loved and safe. Without you I am nothing.
Melissa"
Melissa gave Sam a note to give to me! It was at that time I knew I was in for a long road ahead of me.

These stories that are told on this blog are true. The names have been changed to protect the true identities of those individuals involved. If you would like to respond to this blog entry, please click on the envelope next to comments underneath this article. On the screen that appears, enter your name and your email address. Under "friend's email address" enter Senorgetman@yahoo.com. I will only accept emails under this fashion. DISCLAIMOR: THIS WEBSITE BY NO MEANS OFFERS LEGAL ADVICE TO VICTIMS OF STALKING AND DOMESTIC ABUSE. IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY A VICTIM OF STALKING AND/OR DOMESTIC ABUSE, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY IMMEDIATLEY.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home